Coordinating Council on Seismic Activity
The Coordinating Council on Seismic Activity is charged with organizing state resources and related activities related to Oklahoma’s recent increase in seismic activity. Formed at the direction of Governor Fallin in September 2014, the Coordinating Council meets regularly to share data, studies, developments and proposed actions related to Oklahoma’s earthquakes.
The Coordinating Council is not a fact-finding or rulemaking body. Its primary mission is to bring about more efficient and effective action through the collaboration of interested stakeholders from across the state—these stakeholders include not only regulators and industry, but also academics, non-governmental organizations and an environment-focused association. The group has been successful in identifying gaps and overlap in state agency activities and opportunities for improving the state’s communication with the public. For example, as a result of collaborations between entities serving on the Council, Governor Fallin recently directed Secretary of Energy and Environment Michael Teague to transfer approximately $50,000 to the Corporation Commission to assist in the hiring of additional staff and acquisition of technological resources.
On February 5, 2015, Secretary Teague sent a letter to the Oklahoma legislature detailing the recent progress of the Coordinating Council. Resources related to the activities presented in the letter can be found in the “What We Are Doing” tab of this website.
- Oklahoma Secretary of Energy and Environment
- Oklahoma Corporation Commission
- Oklahoma Geological Survey
- Oklahoma Energy Resources Board
- Ground Water Protection Council
- University of Oklahoma Mewbourne College of Earth & Energy
- Oklahoma State University Boone Pickens School of Geology
- University of Tulsa Department of Geosciences
- Oklahoma Independent Petroleum Association
- Oklahoma Oil and Gas Association
- Secretary Teague Letter to Legislators Regarding Coordinating Council Progress
- Oklahoma Corporation Commission July 17, 2015 Directive to Operators
- Oklahoma Geological Survey Position Statement on Seismicity
- Oklahoma Energy Resources Board Factsheet on Seismic Monitoring and Mitigation
- Ground Water Protection Council / Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission Induced Seismicity Workgroup